Ground turkey is a great alternative to ground beef and packed with protein. In this simple recipe I have recreated the regular family meatloaf into a classic pairing of turkey and cranberries. By using turkey thigh instead of turkey breast, it produces a more moist and flavourful loaf. What a great treat for a meal any day of the week. My six year old son told me that he didn’t know meatloaf could taste this good!
- 340g bag of fresh cranberries (or thawed from frozen)
- 2/3 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey thigh
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 3 large eggs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp ground dry sage
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a standard size bread loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper (make sure there is enough of the parchment paper sticking out of the pan for easy extraction of the whole loaf when cooked).
- In a heavy bottomed medium size pot, add all of the ingredients for the Glaze/Topping. Turn heat to medium-high and cook stirring frequently while also mashing with a potato masher as the berries cook and break down, until a smooth thick consistency is reached, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add all of the meatloaf ingredients to a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Press into the prepared loaf pan and cover with the cranberry topping. Bake for approximately 1 to 1.25 hours until the internal temperature of the meat loaf has reached a minimum of 165F. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before extracting from the pan. Slice and serve immediately.
For more recipes, visit Lepp Farm Market