Photo and recipe courtesy of BC Cranberry Marketing Commission. For more delicious recipes visit www.bccranberries.com
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup unbleached flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup corn oil
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
12 oz fresh or frozen cranberries
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 cup grated Monterey
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 Jalapeño pepper, finely diced
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg, sugar, oil and buttermilk.
4. In a food processor, chop the cranberries with the 1 tsp. of sugar.
5. Coat a 10” cast-iron skillet with oil and set it over medium heat. Add the butter. As the skillet heats, quickly stir together the dry and wet ingredients to just combine. Stir in the cranberries cheese, corn and peppers. When the butter is melted and the pan is hot, add the batter.
6. Transfer to the oven immediately. Bake until light brown around the edges, about 25 minutes.
7. Cut in wedges and serve warm.
|SERVING SIZE: 4-6|