Summer contest: Show us how you’re #LivinLaVidaLocalBC and you could win big!July 12, 2017
Sip local: April is #BCWineMonth!April 25, 2018
How do you decide what makes a local ice cream parlour your personal favourite? Is it the smell of toasting waffle cones when you walk in, the way the staff always scoop a little extra on the cone? Is it the memories you make there, waiting in line on a warm midsummer evening? Or is it the unique flavours they feature, like whiskey hazelnut, lemon meringue, miso ginger or honey lavender?
When we asked you about your favourite ice cream producers, you shared the best places across BC to get your favourite frozen flavours made from locally sourced ingredients. Below, we’ve got the scoop on the best places to get ice cream and gelato this summer, from Prince George to Courtenay to Fernie.
And, while you use our list to plan your next ice cream outing, enjoy these tasty recipes below.
Reader’s Choice: Your Favourite Locally Made Ice Cream Across BC
Ready to go exploring? Our crowd-sourced list from our Facebook community is the perfect guide to summer artisanal ice cream adventures.
Vancouver and the Lower Mainland
- Carmelis Goat Cheese Artisan near Okanagan Lake. They offer 24 flavours of goat cheese gelato.
- Moolix in Kelowna. A neighbourhood institution, Moolix gets packed fast on summer nights.
- QB Gelato in Kelowna. Community member Paula Diakiw says “Just opened, and OMG....OMG!”
- Tickelberry's in Okanagan Falls.
- Cold Comfort in Victoria is a local favourite. Try their Hoyne’s Dark Matter Beer ice cream.
- Coleman Meadows Farm in Courtenay produces their own water buffalo ice cream and gelato, and is the supplier for Hot Chocolates ice cream further down this list!
- Combs Country Candy in Port Alberni.
- Island Farmsin Victoria. Their factory tours are a family favourite.
- Kid Sister Ice Cream in Victoria. Community member Lyndsey Bishop says: “Fantastic ice cream made by fantastic people!” Try their lemon meringue!
- Hot Chocolates in Courtenay. Community member Melissa McLachlan says “Absolutely, hands down Hot Chocolates house-made Gelato & Sorbetto in Downtown Courtenay. They even have Water Buffalo gelato made from milk sourced from local herds!”
- Udder Guys in Cowichan Bay. Community member Kate Rossetto says “Ginger is my fave!”
- Frozen Paddle in Prince George. During the winter, they offer a subscription service that delivers three flavours monthly - sounds like a delicious way to get through the cold season to us!
If you want to walk off some of these ice cream adventures (and you’re on a quest for unusual flavours) Off the Eaten Track has an entire tour dedicated to gourmet local ice cream in Vancouver! And if we’ve missed your favourite ice cream producer, please add them in the comments. Hungry for more? Join our Facebook or Instagram community for a fresh mix of local favourites and summer recipes you’ll love.
Photo credit: Kid Sister Ice Cream
Each year, BC’s wineries welcome over 1 million visitors – so what are you waiting for?