All a-buzz: how BC’s honey industry and blueberry farmers make a sweet mixMay 16, 2016
Eat, drink and be berry: it’s berry season in BC!June 23, 2016
Picnic season is the perfect time to visit your local BC bakeries – and whether your picnic basket includes a pie encrusted with berries or savoury pastries crumbly with cheese and spices, baked goods are the perfect portable way to add flavour to your summer lunch.
So this month, we asked our community (that’s right: you!) to tell us about your favourite bakeries across BC – and did you ever deliver! From Creston in the Kootenay to Campbell River on Vancouver Island, enjoy your list of the best bakeries in BC.
And if you’re hoping for a slice of something even closer to home, it’s easy to bake your own. Never made pie before? Start with this friendly guide to making pie with family then check out our favourite savoury and sweet recipes below!
- Phyllo & Chicken Root Vegetable Pot Pie
- Comforting Chicken Tamale Pie
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Strawberry Pies
Reader’s Choice: Your Favourite Bakeries Across BC
Vancouver and the Lower Mainland:
- Fratelli Bakery in Sapperton, New Westminster.
- Trout Lake Farmer’s Market in Metro Vancouver.
- Butter Baked Goods in Metro Vancouver.
- Sweet Thea in Langley. Community member Christina Marchand says, “Sweet Thea at The Market makes THE BEST pies from Driediger Farms Market berries!”
- Krause Berry Farms & Estate Winery in Langley. Community member Lindsay Nelson comments: “They have AMAZING pie, berries and honestly EVERYTHING! We love spending weekends here.”
- Duft & Co. Bakehouse in Abbotsford.
- Magpie’s Bakery in Chilliwack. Community member Julaine Treur says: “Best breads I’ve ever tasted. And their custard danishes? Scrumptious!”
- The Cottage Bakeshop in Abbotsford. Community member Tim Hesketh suggests: “Try their vanilla slices and birthday cakes!”
- Golden Flour Bakery in Creston. Community member Myrna Johnson says: “The selection of pies is amazing – offered in various sizes is a great help. Open Monday to Saturday – wonderful aroma and baked goodies.”
- Wouda’s Bakery in Penticton.
- Sandrine French Pastry and Chocolate in Kelowna. Community member Carol Yankoski says: “They make the best pastries and pies with local, in-season fruit.”
- Sweet Caroline’s Bakery in Vernon. Community member Dayle Morgan Broten adds: “Even Sir Anthony Hopkins loved their tasty treats while filming in the area.”
- Just Like Mom’s Homemade Baking in Union Bay. Community member Christina Marchand says they are “delicious and a super unique experience!”
- Gatehouse Bistro in Cumberland.
- Hot Chocolates in Courtenay.
- Alderlane at the Comox Valley Farmer’s Market.
- Steiner Bakery in Campbell River. Community member Jimmer Young told us: “They are absolutely the best. I know as I was a city bus driver in the 80’s in Vancouver and we know bakeries… Cheers from the rock.” Fellow community member Andrea Klassen added “I agree! Wish I could get their donuts shipped to Vancouver.”
- Daves’ Bakery in Willow Point, Campbell River. “THE best!” says community member Glenda Woodward, and Christina Rozema adds “Great service and terrific baking.”
- Old Town Bakery in Ladysmith. Community member Kate Wilton says that the bakery is “renowned for its cinnamon buns. Some have berries, some have chocolate, all are delicious!”
- Breadstuffs Bakery in Brentwood Bay. Community member Dawn Holland told us “They buy local berries, fruit and wheat for their products – and when I say local, I mean within a 15 km radius. They make killer pie.”
If we’ve missed your favourite bakery, please add it in the comments! And, if you’re hungry for more, join our Facebook community for a fresh mix of local favourites and summer recipes you’ll love.