Baked BC Eggplant
- 4 small BC eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 2 cups marinara or tomato sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese divided
- Slice eggplant vertically into 1/4 inch slices. Lay slices in a single layer on a paper towel lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let sit 1 hour to release moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the dried eggplant with olive oil and roast for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- In a baking dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce. Top with eggplant, cheese and breadcrumbs. Repeat layers, evenly distributing ingredients. Top with a light coating of parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the top is bubbling and lightly browned. Garnish with basil leaves.
SERVING SIZE: 2