Sticky Rice And Chicken Sesame Balls
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 lb/500 g)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup toasted black and white sesame seeds
- Place rice in fine-mesh sieve; rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. In saucepan set over high heat, combine rice and 2 cups (500 mL) water; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and salt. Microwave on High for about 30 seconds or until dissolved. Transfer rice to large, nonreactive bowl; pour vinegar mixture over top, stirring until rice is completely coated. Let cool completely.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces. Heat oil in large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat; cook chicken, salt and pepper until chicken is golden brown around edges. Add teriyaki sauce; simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened and chicken is caramelized and cooked through. Let cool completely. Stir in green onion.
- Measure out 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooked rice and flatten in palm of hand. Spoon some of the chicken mixture onto centre of rice; form into ball to enclose filling. Roll in sesame seeds. Balls can be covered tightly and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Makes 16 balls.
SERVING SIZE: 16