- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1.5 kg Canadian boneless beef blade pot roast, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 12 tsp butter (divided)
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 pkg (227 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 450 g mini white potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 3 large carrots, cut in 1-1/2″ pieces
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Add beef blade pot roast; toss to coat.
- In large Dutch oven, heat 2 tsp butter and 1 tsp vegetable oil over medium heat until melted; cook one-third of the beef mixture, stirring, until browned. Transfer to bowl. Repeat with butter, oil and remaining beef mixture. In same pan, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Cook cremini mushrooms, celery, and onion, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour in red wine; cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, for 2 minutes. Return beef and any accumulated juices to pan. Add potatoes, carrots, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boil, stirring and scraping to loosen any remaining browned bits. Cover and braise in 350°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until vegetables are tender and beef offers no resistance when pierced with knife, 30 to 40 minutes. Stir in frozen peas; cook for 5 minutes. Skim fat from surface; discard thyme, parsley and bay leaves. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
For more recipes, visit Make it Beef