These crispy latkes are made all the more flavourful with the addition of shredded Brussels sprouts. Serve for brunch with poached eggs and smoked salmon.
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded BCfresh Brussels sprouts (about 6 oz/180g)
- 2 lb (1 kg) BCfresh baking potatoes (about 2), peeled
- 1 large onion
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Shred potatoes and onion into large colander lined with tea towel; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer mixture to large bowl; toss with Brussels sprouts, eggs, flour, salt and pepper.
- In large skillet set over medium heat, heat enough oil to come about 1/4 inch (5 mm) up side. Working in batches, spoon 1/4 cup (60 mL) potato mixture into oil for each latke, flattening with two forks to form 3-inch (8 cm) rounds.
- Cook, turning once, for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and crispy at edges. Drain on paper towel–lined baking sheet. Serve warm.
- Latkes can be left at room temperature for up to 2 hours or refrigerated on wire racks set on baking sheets for up to 1 day. Reheat in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Make shredding Brussels sprouts easy by using the slicing attachment in the food processor.
- Use yellow flesh potatoes for added texture and flavour.