These crispy latkes are made all the more flavourful with the addition of shredded Brussels sprouts. Serve for brunch with poached eggs and smoked salmon.
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded BCfresh Brussels sprouts (about 6 oz/180g)
- 2 lb (1 kg) BCfresh baking potatoes (about 2), peeled
- 1 large onion
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Shred potatoes and onion into large colander lined with tea towel; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer mixture to large bowl; toss with Brussels sprouts, eggs, flour, salt and pepper.
- In large skillet set over medium heat, heat enough oil to come about 1/4 inch (5 mm) up side. Working in batches, spoon 1/4 cup (60 mL) potato mixture into oil for each latke, flattening with two forks to form 3-inch (8 cm) rounds.
- Cook, turning once, for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and crispy at edges. Drain on paper towel–lined baking sheet. Serve warm.
Tips: Latkes can be left at room temperature for up to 2 hours or refrigerated on wire racks set on baking sheets for up to 1 day. Reheat in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Make shredding Brussels sprouts easy by using the slicing attachment in the food processor.
Use yellow flesh potatoes for added texture and flavour.