This delicious sauté highlights premium local quality ingredients while delivering earthy, wild mushroom flavour in every bite. Serve and enjoy each plate with crusty French bread and red wine.
- 1 1/2 pounds plain boneless chicken thighs, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried BC porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 pound assorted mushrooms
- 1 large head of fresh garlic, top fourth removed
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons of garlic-infused extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tomatoes, diced into
- 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the head of fresh garlic on a layer of aluminum foil and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil. Wrap completely in foil and roast until soft (up to 90 minutes). Once cooled, peel the garlic while keeping the cloves intact.
- While the garlic is cooling, place the BC porcini mushrooms in a safe bowl and add the boiling water. Let sit until soft (up to 30 minutes). Once softened, rinse the mushrooms while keeping the soaking liquid. Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- Add the assorted mushrooms to a bowl of warm water and allow to soak for up to 30 minutes. Rinse and remove the mushrooms while disposing of the soaking liquid.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add to a large, heated skillet with 1 tablespoon of the extra virgin olive oil. Cook on high heat until the chicken is browned on the bottom (about 4 minutes) and move to a bowl.
- In the empty skillet, add 1 tablespoon of the extra virgin olive oil. Add the pre-soaked, assorted mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook and cover the mushrooms over medium heat, stirring often until browned (up to 3 minutes). Move mushrooms to a large plate.
- In the empty skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and add the thinly sliced shallots. Cook on medium heat while stirring for up to 3 minutes.
- Add the red wine and boil on high heat until the wine is reduced by half. Add in the reserved soaking liquid from the BC porcini mushrooms, the chicken stock, the diced tomatoes, assorted mushrooms, BC porcini mushrooms, roasted garlic, and chicken thighs and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the sauté from heat and add the chopped tarragon. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in 2 tablespoons of chilled butter and serve.