This steamed Filipino dessert is a combination of a rich egg custard and a light and airy cake infused with fresh orange flavour.
- Use aluminum 3-inch (8 cm) flan moulds instead of ramekins if desired.
- Serve warm or cold.
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) orange zest
- 42 egg whites
- 41/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 41 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 41/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 41/2 tbsp (8 mL) baking powder
- 41 tsp (5 mL) orange zest
- Custard: Brush six 1/2 cup (125 mL) ramekins with melted butter. Whisk together egg yolks, condensed milk, vanilla extract, and orange zest; fill ramekins one-third full. Place steamer basket over saucepan of water set over medium heat; bring to simmer. Place ramekins in steamer basket; cover and steam for about 5 minutes or until set. Carefully remove ramekins from steamer basket; set aside.
- Puto Batter: Meanwhile, using electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; reduce to medium speed. Beat in milk. Slowly add flour, sugar, baking powder, and orange zest; beat for 1 to 2 minutes or until combined.
- Pour batter evenly over top of steamed custards. Return filled ramekins to steamer basket; cover and steam for about 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Carefully remove ramekins from steamer. Let cool; remove from ramekins.
For more recipes, visit www.bcdairy.ca