Sweet and earthy root vegetables combined with crisp pancetta create an incredible mouthwatering twist on the usual pasta main dish.
- 3 cups (750 mL) BCfresh parsnips (about 1 lb/500 g), peeled and
- finely diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) BCfresh carrot (about 1/2 lb/250 g), peeled and
- finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 oz (75 g) thinly sliced pancetta
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 lb (250 g) tagliatelle pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 4 tsp (20 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; fry pancetta for 4 to 5 minutes or until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside. Add remaining oil to pan; sauté parsnips, carrot, onion and garlic, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add wine, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 7 to 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Reserve 1/2 cup (125 mL) pasta water. Drain pasta; toss with vegetable mixture, Parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice and reserved pasta water. Transfer to bowls and sprinkle with reserved pancetta.
Note: For a touch of smoky flavour, replace pancetta with bacon.