Prosciutto Wrapped Roast Chicken With Root Vegetables
Recipe and photo courtesy of BC Chicken
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lb roasting chicken
- 6 strips prosciutto
- 2 sweet potatoes, medium, chopped
- 3 red skinned potatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, medium, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 sprigs rosemary, fresh
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line the bottom of a roasting tin with a rack to let the juices from the chicken to drain.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Drape the six slices of prosciutto over the chicken until the top of the bird is completely covered. Place the chicken on the rack in the centre of the roasting tin.
- Place the vegetables into a large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables around the chicken.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked entirely and registers 180°F (82°C) on a meat thermometer, about 2 hours and 30 minutes. Every 30 minutes remove the chicken from the oven and baste the chicken with the juices at the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let the bird rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. Serve with the roasted vegetables.
2 hours 30 min
SERVING SIZE: 6