Shaved Parsnip Salad With Grapefruit
Recipe and photo courtesy of BCfresh
- 1 1/2 BCfresh parsnips, peeled
- 1 cup (250 mL) kale leaves, stalks removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 4 tsp (20 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) white pepper
- 2 grapefruit, peeled and cut into supremes
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted walnuts
- Working over large bowl, shave parsnips into thin ribbons using vegetable peeler or mandolin. Add kale leaves to bowl.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt and white pepper; toss with parsnips and kale. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Toss grapefruit supremes with shallot; add to salad. Fold in toasted walnuts.
- To cut grapefruit into supremes: Slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit. Stand fruit on one of the cut ends. Slice off the outer peel following the natural curve of the fruit and removing the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl to catch all the juices, cut between each membrane to release segments.
SERVING SIZE: 4