BC Spot Prawns
Lepp Farm Market
Preparation of the Prawns:
In order for the prawns to cook at the same time, empty the container of frozen prawns into a deep bowl with enough cold water to cover them completely. Leave them for 5 minutes, at which time they can be separated from each other. Once they are separated, let them sit about 10 minutes on a plate so they are completely thawed.
In a frying pan, add:
1/3 cup olive oil (or half butter and half olive oil)
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/8 teaspoon of hot dry chili flakes (optional)
- Heat the oil on medium heat. Add the prawns and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and test a prawn. If not to your liking, cook for another 30 seconds.
- Do NOT overcook as the prawns will go soft. BC Prawns, unlike others prawns, go soft when overcooked… a few seconds can make all the difference.
- It’s better to slightly undercook than to overcook them. Enjoy!
Preparing Live Wild BC Spot Prawns
- Remove heads immediately
- Pack into a bowl or container of your choosing
- Cover with ice and refrigerate to ensure prawns maintain their structure for up to three days
- Pour off melted ice each day and replace
Freezing Live Wild BC Spot Prawns
- Remove the head and pack prawn tails loosely into a plastic container
- Completely cover tails with saline solution (1 tsp salt to 1.5 cup water) remembering that water expands as it freezes
- We will have available for purchase that day, the 500 ml and 1 litre plastic containers that are best for freezing them. Alternately, they can also be frozen in water in freezer zip-lock bags.
That’s all it takes for you to be able to enjoy this BC delicacy all year long!
For more delicious recipes visit www.leppfarmmarket.com