Beef And Barley Soup
Submitted by: Recipe & photo courtesy of Canada Beef & BC Cattlemen's Association
You can use Beef Simmering Steak instead of Stewing Cubes in this recipe, if you like. Trim the steak and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb Beef Stewing Cubes, trimmed
- 6 cups vegetables, cut in small pieces (ie. onions, carrots, celery, rutabaga, and/or potatoes)
- 1/4 cup pot or pearl barley
- 284 mL Beef Broth
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried dillweed
- 1/4 tsp dried pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; brown beef cubes. Stir in vegetables, barley, broth, thyme, dillweed, pepper and bay leaf.
- Add 4 cups water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for about 2 hours or until beef and barley are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
For more delicious beef recipes and to join the Make It Beef Club, please visit Make it Beef