Au Jus is just a fancy name for making a beef gravy recipe.
- 4 lbs premium prime rib oven roast
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Dry red wine (optional)
- 2 cups beef stock or broth
- Pat roast dry with paper towel. Rub all over with garlic, thyme or rosemary and salt and pepper. Place on rack in shallow roasting pan without water and lid. Insert ovenproof thermometer into centre of roast, avoiding fat or bone.
- Oven-sear in preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes (OR on stove-top, brown roast all over in a bit of oil in deep skillet).
- Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C) and roast until thermometer reads 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare, about 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest at least 15 minutes before carving.
- To Make Au Jus: While roast rests, pour roasting pan drippings into a glass measuring cup and skim off any excess fat that rises to the top. Pour drippings back into pan. Heat over medium heat; stir in a splash of red wine (if using), stirring up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth and cook until juices are reduced by about a third. Strain if desired. Serve hot Au Jus over thinly sliced roast beef.
For more recipes, visit Make it Beef