Try this inexpensive and fresh version of a chicken & broccoli casserole. No need for processed soups or sauces! Use any combination of in-season, fresh vegetables equaling 4-5 cups.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups (315 mL) 2% milk
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) white pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil, fresh, minced or 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) whole wheat egg white noodles, dry
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli, florets and stems, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) yellow peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) zucchini, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sweet paprika
- Cut cooked chicken into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the white sauce by melting the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter bubbles up and foams, add flour and whisk for 1 minute; try not to let the mixture turn brown. Add milk to the mixture and continue to stir with a whisk and cook until it starts to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes while sauce thickens. Stir intermittently. Add white pepper, fresh minced basil and parmesan cheese to the sauce. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). During the last few minutes of the pasta cooking, add the chopped chicken, broccoli, diced yellow pepper and sliced zucchini to the water. Allow to simmer for two minutes until vegetables are tender crisp. Drain and add to a large bowl.
- Stir white sauce into pasta mixture. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 X 13–inch oven-proof casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Sprinkle top with paprika.
- Heat broiler to high. Place pasta on middle shelf. Broil for 10 minutes or until the casserole is heated through and cheese has melted and lightly browned. Alternately, bake for 30 minutes in a 350°F (175°C) oven.
For more recipes, visit bcchicken.ca or Chicken.ca