Chicken & Mozzarella Manicotti
Submitted by: Recipe and photo courtesy of BC Chicken Marketing Board
Looking for a quick freezer-friendly meal idea that the kids will love? Look no further. If you’re the type of person that feeds family members around three or four different schedules you’ll love this dinner. Bake manicotti fresh or frozen and choose whether to do it in a large family style baking dish or personal sized containers.
- 8 oven ready manicotti shells
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 1% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fat free ricotta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 oz (145 g) fresh cooked spinach; OR frozen, thawed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded smoked Mozzarella
- 10 sundried tomato halves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) prepared tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- For the filling, melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, ¼ teaspoon (0.25 mL) salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in ricotta and set aside.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add spinach, chicken, 1 cup (250 mL) mozzarella, and sundried tomatoes. Stir in thickened ricotta cheese sauce.
- Using a teaspoon, stuff manicotti with chicken and cheese mixture and arrange in the greased dish. Top manicotti with tomato sauce and extra cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour or until manicotti is tender. Uncover, and divide manicotti between plates. Serve with salad.
For more delicious chicken recipes, visit bcchicken.ca or Chicken.ca