- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 tbs (15 mL) grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ lb (250 g) ground turkey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 can (26 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (18 oz/540 mL) black beans
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) frozen or fresh corn
- 1 ¼ cups (310 mL) shredded, low fat cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13” (23 x 33 cm) baking dish and place 4 corn tortillas on the bottom.
- In a large fry pan on medium high heat, add oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, red pepper and celery and sauté until tender. Add turkey meat, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, black beans and corn, then cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour one-third of this mixture over the corn tortillas in the baking dish, then top with 4 more corn tortillas. Repeat this process, ending with tomato and turkey mixture.
- Top with cheese, cover and bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and bake another 10 minutes or until bubbly and golden around the edges.
For more recipes, visit www.bcturkey.com