Cranberry & Chevre Stuffed Chicken
Submitted by: Recipe and photo courtesy of BC Chicken Marketing Board
Here’s an impressive recipe that takes little effort. Basically plump breasts are stuffed with cranberries and creamy chevre seasoned with savory sage. Sauteed in butter until golden, they’re finished with a wine-butter glaze just before plating. Tres chic!
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh or dried whole cranberries
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) creamy goat’s cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried leaf sage
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- Working with one chicken breast at a time, make a horizontal slit about 1 ½ inches (3.5 cm) long in the thickest side of the breast. Insert index finger into the slit and wiggle to form a small wide pocket. If using dried cranberries, cover with boiling water and let sit about 5 minutes to plump. Then drain well.
- In a bowl, combine cranberries with cheese and 1 tsp ( 5 mL) dried leaf sage. Work with your fingers to make sure sage is evenly mixed. Pick up about a quarter of the mixture and stuff into the pocket of one chicken breast. Stroke and gently press the top of the breast to spread mixture throughout the breast. Repeat with remaining chicken. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to a day.
- To cook, melt 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken. Generously sprinkle with salt on both sides. Then cook until golden on both sides, from 2 to 3 minutes a side.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp (5 mL) dried leaf sage. Pour wine over the chicken. Cover, then reduce heat to low and cook until chicken feels springy when pressed, from 4 to 6 minutes a side. Remove chicken to plates.
- Turn heat to high. Add remaining tablespoon (15 mL) butter to pan. Stir constantly until sauce just coats the bottom of the pan. Pour over chicken.
For more delicious chicken recipes, visit bcchicken.ca or Chicken.ca