Creamy Onion Soup With Aged Cheddar
- 60 mL (¼ cup) Butter
- 2 large thinly sliced Onions (Red)
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Sugar
- 60 mL (¼ cup) White Wine
- 1 L (4 cups) Chicken Broth
- 125 mL (½ cup), 33% Cream
- 250 mL (1 cup) thinly sliced Canadian cheddar Bread
- 6 small slices crusty, lightly toasted Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes until golden, stirring often. Add sugar and let caramelize for a few minutes.
- Pour white wine over onions and continue cooking for 2 minutes to deglaze.
- Add chicken broth. Simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- In blender, purée until smooth. Return to heat and add cream and half of cheese; stir well.
- Salt and pepper, to taste. Place toast in soup bowls. Ladle soup into bowls and top with remaining cheese.
SERVING SIZE: 6