Easy Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Submitted by: Recipe and photo courtesy of BC Chicken Marketing Board
This simple recipe is packed with flavour. Using peppers as a serving vessel means easy cleanup and automatic portion control! Nutty brown rice, mushrooms, and carrots create a hearty, delicious dish. Developed for CFC by Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc.
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground chicken
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) barbecue sauce + 1 tbsp (15 mL) barbecue sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) brown basmati rice, cooked
- 1 egg, medium
- 1 cup (250 mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, grated
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, ground
- 8 sprigs parsley (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (190°C).
- Cut peppers in half vertically through the stems and discard inner seeds and membranes. Keep the stems on as they look nice and help to hold in the filling.
- Mix ground chicken with cooked rice and remainder of ingredients.
- Fill peppers with chicken and rice mixture. You can mound them fairly high. Arrange in a baking dish and add a cup of water to bottom of baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until ground chicken stuffed peppers are thoroughly cooked and no hint of pink remains in the ground chicken.
For more delicious chicken recipes, visit bcchicken.ca or Chicken.ca