If you want to skip making the Big Batch Beef, use 1/2 lb fresh ground beef, browned with 1 EACH small onion and clove garlic, minced. If you’re looking to change up the flavours, substitute toasted slivered almonds for the pine nuts and diced dried apricots or sliced green olives for the golden raisins.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 baby eggplant
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup frozen Big Batch Beef (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in skillet, add eggplant cubes, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring until golden, about 5 minutes. Add frozen Big Batch beef and 2 tbsp water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in raisins, pine nuts and hot pepper flakes. Cover and cook to combine flavours, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and Parmesan cheese. Serve with toasted slices of baguette.
Big Batch Ground Beef
- Cook 4 lb Lean or Extra-Lean Ground Beef in Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, breaking into small chunks with back of spoon, until browned.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Add 4 each onion and cloves of garlic, minced, simmer for 15 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Drain and spread in a single layer on several foil or parchment paper-lined baking trays
- Freeze until meat is firm, about 1 hour.
- Loosen into chunks, scoop meal-sized portions into freezer bags.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
For more recipes, visit Make It Beef