Eight-Vegetable Soup With Chicken
Submitted by: Excerpted from The Great Rotisserie Chicken Cookbook by Eric Akis
This no-fuss, throw-all-ingredients-in-the-pot, large-batch soup recipe freezes well. That makes it possible to enjoy some now and store the rest for another time when you feel like having a bowl of this nutritious soup. I like garlic and have added three large cloves to this recipe. However, feel free to adjust the amount according to your preference.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut in 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) slices
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium white-skinned potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, halved, seeds removed, and diced
- 11⁄2 cups (375 mL) diced rotisserie chicken meat
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken stock (page 59)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- A few pinches of dried, crushed chili flakes (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish, to taste (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the parmesan cheese in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper. If desired, serve bowls of the soup sprinkled with parmesan cheese to taste.