In this recipe, slivers of garlic infuse the beef with rich, garlicky flavour. “Roast was nicely browned and extremely tender and flavourful. Nice pink colour throughout. All in all, an extremely successful test with great results.” – Reader comment
- 7 lb premium beef oven roast (prime rib, strip loin, or rib roast)
- 8 cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce or grainy mustard (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Simple pan gravy (recipe follows)
- Cut shallow slits all over roast; insert garlic slivers into slits. Rub all over with Worcestershire sauce OR pat roast dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Place roast, bones down, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into centre of roast. Roast, uncovered, in 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C); roast until thermometer reads 135°F (57°C) for medium-rare to medium, about 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours.
- Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 to 30 minutes before carving. Make Simple Pan Gravy (if desired).
Simple Pan Sauce/Gravy
- Heat roast drippings over medium-high heat;
- add splash of red wine, stirring up any browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth.
- Strain (if desired) and skim off any fat; return to pan.
- Thicken by cooking until broth reduces (an au jus-style sauce) or thicken by stirring in a cornstarch/cold water mixture* for more of a gravy.
- Season to taste.
- Add splash of heavy cream and/or balsamic or wine vinegar to taste, if desired.
For more recipes, visit Make It Beef