This stew-line minestrone is hearty enough to be a main course. It’s a beefy soup that both kids and parents will love.
- 1lb extra lean ground beef round or sirloin or extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 package sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded fresh spinach (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup broken whole wheat spaghetti or alphabet pasta
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- Cook beef, onion, garlic, frozen mixed vegetables, Italian seasoning and chili pepper flakes (if using) in Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked and any liquid has evaporated.
- Add tomatoes, broth and tomato sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and parsley (if using). Stir in pasta and beans (if using); simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
For more recipes, visit Make it Beef