Hot And Sour Soup
Submitted by: Dana Reinhardt, via Windet Farms
A more substantial meal can be made by simply adding shrimp, chicken or tofu.
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer layer discarded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. tamarind concentrate
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Thai fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ lb. cooked chicken or shrimp
- 2 sweet bell peppers, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass and jalapeño pepper. Sauté briefly and add brown sugar, tamarind, fish sauce, limejuice and tomatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes and add stock. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain soup through a fine mesh sieve and return to heat. Add chicken or shrimp, peppers and spring onions. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve, garnished with fresh cilantro.
For more delicious recipes visit www.windsetfarms.com