Lentil & Chicken Shepherd's Pie
Submitted by: Recipe and photo courtesy of BC Chicken Marketing Board
Here’s a delicious twist on a favourite comfort food. Adding lentils to the ground chicken filling boosts the protein, fibre and nutrients and contains only 290 calories per serving. Yogurt stirred into the mashed potatoes instead of the usual butter and milk is another fun twist.
- 2 cups (500 mL) canned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground chicken
- 2 cups (500 mL) carrots, grated
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 tomatoes, medium, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-sodium vegetable juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) thyme, fresh
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cloves, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 potatoes, skin on, diced
- 2/3 cups (170 mL) plain yogurt, 2–4% MF
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chives, fresh, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Rinse canned lentils under cold running water to remove starch and some of the salt. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Dice onions and mince garlic. Sauté in pan until softened – about 4 minutes.
- Stir in ground chicken. Use the back of a wooden spoon to break chicken into smaller pieces. Stir and sauté until cooked through and ground chicken is lightly browned.
- Add lentils, grated carrots, diced green pepper and chopped tomatoes. Stir in vegetable juice, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, ground clove, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on low heat while the potatoes are cooking.
- Cut unpeeled potatoes into chunks. Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until fork tender. Drain and mash with yogurt and minced chives.
- Spread hot filling into a baking dish. Mound scoops of potatoes over and use a spatula to smooth over pie. Sprinkle top with paprika. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until filling is bubbling and top lightly browned.
For more delicious chicken recipes, visit bcchicken.ca or Chicken.ca