This stunning layered potato cake with fragrant saffron makes an impressive presentation at any meal.
- 3 BCfresh medium white potatoes (such as Pacific Pearl), rinsed and gently scrubbed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 12 bacon strips
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 450-g pkg puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Slice potatoes thinly using a mandolin or sharp knife. Transfer to a large bowl then toss with oil, salt and pepper.
- Pat bacon dry with paper towel. Unroll pastry sheets on counter, then cut each sheet into 6 strips (for a total of 12). Brush each lightly with mustard then sprinkle with rosemary. Place a strip of bacon over each pastry length. Arrange potato slices on bacon, overlapping by 1/2-inch. Tightly roll pastry over itself to create a rose. Place in a 12-cup muffin tin. Repeat with remaining pastries.
- Bake in centre of oven until crisp and golden-brown, about 30 minutes.
- Pacific Sunrise or Yellow potatoes are a great substitution if you can’t track down white potatoes.
For more recipes, visit www.bcfresh.ca