Quick Beef & Barley Soup
Submitted by: Recipe & photo courtesy of Canada Beef & BC Cattlemen's Association
This hearty soup is easy to make with leftover pot roast or oven roast beef.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- Heat vegetable oil in large pot. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stirring to coat vegetables. Add barley, beef broth, 3 cups (750 mL) water and stewed tomatoes. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add cooked beef; heat through, about 2 minutes.
For more delicious beef recipes and to join the Make It Beef Club, please visit Make it Beef