Quinoa And Beef Stuffed Peppers
Submitted by: Recipe & photo courtesy of Canada Beef & BC Cattlemen's Association
Liven up a family meal with the bright colours of sweet peppers, mango and bok choy. Fresh mango can be used in place of frozen if you like.
- 4 medium-sized sweet red, orange or yellow peppers
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks, thawed
- 1/3 cup 2% evaporated milk or light cream
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid honey
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 cup chopped bok choy
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp minced gingerroot
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Cut tops off peppers making pepper lids and cups. Remove the seeds. Place upright on baking sheet lined with parchment paper; bake in 375°F oven for 20 minutes. (If the peppers can’t stand upright, remove a thin slice off the bottom without creating an opening.)
- Purée 1 cup mango chunks, evaporated milk and honey together in a blender; set aside. Chop remaining 1 cup mango chunks. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until softened, for about 3 minutes. Add beef and cook, breaking up with back of wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes. Add the bok choy, mushrooms and gingerroot; cook until they soften, about 7 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa, reserved chopped mango, cilantro, salt and pepper. Add 3/4 cup of the mango purée into the quinoa-beef mixture; stir to combine. Stuff the pepper cups with the mixture, dividing it evenly among the peppers.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 30 minutes or until peppers wrinkle and digital thermometer inserted into the centre of the mixture reads 160°F. Meanwhile, heat the remaining mango purée in a saucepan, stirring constantly. Pour over the pepper filling and top with the pepper lids.
For more delicious beef recipes and to join the Make It Beef Club, please visit Make it Beef