Roast Beef With Roasted Ratatouille
Submitted by: Recipe & photo courtesy of Canada Beef & BC Cattlemen's Association
This recipe takes advantage of roasting both the vegetables and the beef at the same time. Plus with leftovers, try making a quick salad or sandwich like the Mediterranean Wraps.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 lbs beef sirloin tip or inside round oven roast
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 3 plum tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 8 oz zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 small Spanish onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 baby eggplant, cut into chunks
- 1 sweet red and 1 sweet yellow pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives (optional)
- Ratatouille: In large bowl, combine tomatoes, zucchini, onion, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, garlic and pesto; toss to coat. Spread on foil-lined jelly roll pan lightly coated with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy sauté pan or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with pepper as desired; brown all over, turning with tongs, about 10 minutes. Spread pesto all over roast; place on rack in same sauté pan. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into centre of roast. Cook beef and vegetables, uncovered, in 275°F (140°C) oven until the thermometer reads 145°F(63°C) for medium-rare; about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove roast to cutting board. Cover with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Lift foil and vegetables from pan and use rubber spatula to scrape vegetables into large bowl; toss with vinegar, honey, and olives, if using. If desired, set aside about 1 lb (500 g) cooked beef and 2 cups/500 mL of vegetables for Mediterranean Wrap recipe. Thinly carve roast across the grain.
For more delicious beef recipes and to join the Make It Beef Club, please visit Make it Beef