Rotisserie Chicken With Quick Summer Ratatouille
Submitted by: Chef Eric Akis, The Great Rotisserie Chicken Cookbook
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1⁄2 small eggplant, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 6 to 8 white or brown mushrooms, each quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Pinch of dried, crushed chili flakes
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, hot, cut into portions
- Heat olive oil in a wide pot or a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, and chili flakes, and cook until the mushrooms release their juices and become tender, 7 or 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are quite tender, then stir in the basil. Season with salt and pepper and fold in the parmesan.
- To serve, divide the ratatouille among 4 wide, shallow bowls. Arrange the chicken on top and serve.
SERVING SIZE: 4