BC Blueberry Strudel
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened to 225 g room temperature)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar 240 ml
- 1 BC Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla 10 ml
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice 30 ml
- cup Ground Almonds 160 ml
- 1 cup BC Blueberries 240 ml
- ¼ cup Flour (for rolling) 60 ml
- 14 oz Package Puff Pastry, thawed 397 g
- Egg Wash (1 BC Egg, 4 tbsp BC Heavy Cream)
- ¼ cup Coarse Sugar (optional) 60 ml
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar (for dusting) 60 ml
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine Cream Cheese and 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Add the BC Egg, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix to combine.
- Gently stir in the ground almonds.
- Finally, fold in the BC Blueberries. Set mixture aside.
- Dust your counter with flour. Divide the puff pastry in half and work with one piece at time.
- Roll the puff pastry out to form an 8”x12” rectangle.
- Place the first sheet of rolled-out puff pastry on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Cut off the four corners (to make a tab at each corner) and place half of filling (1 ½ cups) in the centre of the rectangle, going lengthwise.
- Fold the two short ends up over the filling to keep it from spilling out.
- With the short end facing you, cut 9 or 10 horizontal strips on either side of the filling so that you can start to form a braid over your filling.
- Starting at one side, pull the top strip over and pinch it to the bottom corner of the opposite strip.
- Fold the opposite strip back over the other way and continue down, one by one, alternating each side until you have all of the strips folded over.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar (if desired).
- Repeat with the other half of the puff pastry (if desired).
- Bake approximately 25 – 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
SERVING SIZE: 2