Organic BC Cider Poached Apples With Toasted Walnuts
- 4 ¼ cups BC Sweet Apple Cider (1 litre)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, packed (125 ml)
- 2 inch piece BC Ginger, peeled (5 cm piece)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla (15 ml)
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Lemon
- 4 large BC Apples
- 1/2 cup BC Walnuts, sliced (125 ml)
- 2 cups BC Vanilla Ice Cream (500ml)
- Place first 5 ingredients in a large pot on the stovetop.
- Cut the lemon in half. Squeeze the juice of one half lemon in the pot. Place the other half of the lemon in the fridge for other recipes uses.
- Bring the cider mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, peel, half, and core the BC Apples.
- Place apples gently into simmering liquid. Cover with a lid and poach for 3 minutes.
- Turn the floating apples over and continue to simmer for another 3 minutes or until a knife can pierce apples with little resistance.
- Remove the poached apples from the liquid to a plate and reserve.
- In a dry pan, place walnuts and carefully toast over medium high heat (careful, they can burn very easily). Keep flipping and moving the walnuts until you smell a nice toasted walnut aroma. Remove the walnuts to a plate to cool.
- Plate the apple with a ladle-full of the braising liquid and toasted walnuts.
- Enjoy with a ½ cup (125ml) scoop of BC Vanilla Ice Cream on each apple (or be creative with other garnishes such as whipped cream, chocolate sauce, or caramel sauce).
SERVING SIZE: 4