- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and coarsely grated BCfresh Carrots
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk flour with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk, oil, sugars and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Fold in flour-mixture until just combined, then stir in carrots.
- Divide batter between cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, butter, maple extract and salt with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar until frosting has thickened. Spread or pipe frosting over cooled cupcakes.
Tips: Icing will be easier to work with if stored in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes.