Creamy BC Spot Prawn Chowder With Poached Egg And Smokey Chicharon
Submitted by: Chef Chris Whittaker, Forage Restaurant
Ingredients for the Chowder
- ⅓ cup Salted Butter
- ¾ cup bacon (cut into batons)
- 2 cups Diced Celeriac
- 2 cups Diced Tomato
- 2 cups Diced Onion
- 1 cup Diced Carrots
- 1 cup Diced Leeks
- ¼ cup Flour
- ½ cup White Wine
- 3 cups Spot Prawn Stock
- 1 ½ cups Cream
- 1 ¼ cups Diced German Butter Potato
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Thyme
- ½ tsp Riesling Vinegar
- 20 piece Wild BC Spot Prawns (split in half)
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Chicharon
- 1 pound pork skin (fat removed and diced)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat sauce pan over medium heat and add bacon and butter.
- Once melted and bacon has begun to render, add celeriac, onion, leeks and carrots.
- Saute until vegetables become translucent and add flour and mix until incorporated.
- Cook for about five minutes on low hear and then deglaze with white wine.
- Once alcohol is cooked off (about 1 minute) add prawn stock and turn heat back up to medium.
- Add heavy cream and diced tomatoes and potatoes.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes on a gentle simmer and then add riesling vinegar, parsley and thyme.
- Stir in the raw prawns and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
Instructions for the Chicharon
- Place all ingredients in pot and bring to boil.
- Cook for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain and dry in 180°F oven for 6 hours or until completely dry.
- Place in 350°F frying oil until they puff nicely.
- Remove and season with salt.
- At this point we lightly smoke with applewood chips for 10-15 minutes.(optional)
- Place chowder in bowl of your choice and garnish with soft poached egg and chicharon.
SERVING SIZE: 4 - 6