Submitted by: Randy Shore
- 3 Spanish or yellow onions
- 3 shallots
- 5 leeks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Rustic bread, sliced
- 1 cup Gruyere or white cheddar cheese, grated
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and shallots. Split and rinse the leeks, then thinly slice them as well.
- Place the onions, shallots and leeks in a large soup pot with the olive oil and the butter and place on medium heat.
- Stir about once every minute until they caramelize to a golden colour. Their volume will reduce by about two thirds in the process.
- Add the garlic and thyme leaves and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add four cups of chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Start with about a teaspoon of salt and then add slowly until you are happy.
- Preheat the broiler in your oven. (Never thought you’d use it, did you?)
- Ladle the soup into oven proof bowls.
- Toast a slice of French bread of ciabatta and place it on top of the soup.
- Place a small pile of grated cheese on top of the bread and place under the broiler until golden brown and bubbly.
- Top with more fresh thyme leaves.
SERVING SIZE: 3-4