Bacon adds a smoky touch to this hearty meal-in-a-bowl soup.
- 3 cups (750 mL) BCfresh Yellow Flesh Potatoes (about 1 lb/500 g),
- peeled and cubed
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh chives
- In saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until crisp; using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel–lined plate.
- Drain all but 3 tbsp (45 mL) bacon fat from saucepan; add potatoes, onion, celery, carrot and thyme. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are softened and golden. Stir in flour until vegetables are well coated.
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Using immersion blender, pulse 4 or 5 times to make smooth yet chunky soup.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in small saucepan and fill with enough water to cover by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Bring to boil and remove from heat; cover and let stand for 4 1/2 minutes. Drain and run eggs under cold running water.
- Peel and halve eggs; place egg halves in soup bowls. Ladle chowder into bowls; sprinkle with chives and reserved bacon.
Note: For an added kick, stir in a dash or two of hot sauce.
Add 1 cup (250 mL) of cooked corn kernels to chowder if desired.