- 4 baking apples: McIntosh, Spartan, Golden, or Granny
- 3 cups (375 g) crumbled dry bread (Good choices are dry white, raisin bread or brioche.)
- ½ cup (125 mL) (4 oz) salted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice (juice from half a lemon will do)
- ¼ tsp (50 g) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (50 g) nutmeg
- ¼ tsp (50 g) allspice
- Brown sugar to taste
- Leave slices of bread out to dry overnight, or toast them in the toaster if still soft.
- Whiz bread into small chunks in the food processor. Gradually add half of the butter and pulse until the butter is mixed and barely visible throughout.
- Toast the breadcrumbs on medium-high in a large (ovenproof) dry skillet until golden brown but not burnt. Remove and preheat oven to 375.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into eighths.
- Over medium-low heat, melt the remaining butter in the warm skillet, add spices to bloom and then stir the apples and lemon juice in.
- When apples have softened, stir in a third of the dry breadcrumbs and place the skillet in the oven for 30 minutes.
- When the timer is up, sprinkle with brown sugar (optional) and spread the remaining bread crumbs on the top. Heat another 10 minutes and serve.
For more recipes, visit bctree.com