These muffins make a healthy, high-fibre afternoon snack with a cup of tea or glass of milk.
- 1 cup (250 ml) finely diced fresh apricots
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups (330 ml) sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (2.5 ml) nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk (skim or 1%)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped walnuts
- Granulated sugar
- Combine apricot pieces and lemon juice.
- Cream shortening and sugar, beat in egg and stir in apricots.
- In separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; add to first mixture alternately with milk.
- Add chopped nuts with the last portion of flour.
- Fill greased muffin tins two thirds full.
- Sprinkle a little granulated sugar on top of each muffin. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350° F (180° C).
153 calories (640 kJ)
21 g carbohydrates (55%)
2.6 g protein (6%)
6.6 g fat (39%)
These muffins are low in fat and suitable for heart-smart diets.
For more delicious recipes visit www.bctree.com