- 1 1/2 tsp gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Lightly oil a 6-cup jelly mold
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatine over the 1/4 cup of cold water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, lemon rind, 2/3 cup of sugar and the cranberries together. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until the cranberries begin to burst, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and strain the juice into a large bowl, setting the cranberries aside. Add the egg yolks, gelatin and almond extract and whisk until the gelatin is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- In a clean, dry bowl beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1/3 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a clean bowl beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Stir 1/3 of the meringue into the juice mixture to lighten it. Then gently fold the remaining meringue and the whipped cream into the mixture. Carefully fold in the cranberries.
- Pour into the prepared mold and freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and let stand 20 minutes before serving.
For more recipes, visit bccranberries.com