With just the right balance of tart and sweet, these are a fun and refreshing summer treat that appeals to the whole family.
- 3 medium apples, peeled
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.8 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raspberries or blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by lightly misting with cooking oil spray.
- Chop apples and place with water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until they can be mashed/stirred into a puree. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add granulated sugar, milk, oil, lemon juice and 3/4 of the pureed apples and blend well. Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix well. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine the berries, icing sugar, melted margarine and remaining apple puree. Set aside.
- Fill each muffin tin halfway with batter. Place a spoonful of the berry puree on each cupcake and top with remaining batter. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched.
Carbohydrate: 32 g (61%)
Protein: 4 g (8%)
Fat: 7 g (31%)
Fibre: 1.5 g
Sodium: 96 mg
Suitable for low-fat diets.
For more recipes, visit www.bctree.com