Jackie Ellis uses aged balsamic or balsamic reduction for her chiffonade but feel free to try a fruit wine or berry wine for a unique twist on the recipe.
4 whites of Eggs
1 cup Sugar
1 scraped Vanilla Bean
1 teaspoon Whipping Cream
2 cups, 33% Strawberries
1 cup of sliced fresh Blueberries
1 cup of Blackberries
1/2 cup of Raspberries
1/2 cup of Fresh Basil
2 tablespoons of chopped Basil
Method for pavlova base:
1. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form
2. Continue beating and add sugar slowly
3. Add 1/2 a scraped vanilla bean and vinegar and whisk until stiff
4. Using a spoon, spread mixture into circles slightly smaller than desired size onto a sheet tray lined with parchment
5. Bake at 1 hour at 275°F
6. Turn off oven and leave meringue in oven overnight to dry out
7. Peel off the paper once cool and they are ready to be filled
Slice strawberries into eighths and mix with other berries in balsamic and basil and let sit for 30 mins to macerate.
For the Cream:
Whip the cream to soft peaks and add the other half of the scraped vanilla bean to it.
Dollop whipping cream into meringues, top with berries and garnish with basil.
|SERVING SIZE: 4|