Tarragon Chicken Bites
Submitted by: Recipe and photo courtesy of BC Chicken Marketing Board
Quick bites like these are a delicious way to greet guests. Serve as a warm appetizers or hors d’oeuvre with a side of creamy tarragon dipping sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1½ inch pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 2 cups (500 mL) peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
For dipping sauce:
- 1 cup (250 mL) fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried tarragon
- 4 dashes Tabasco
- salt and pepper
- Pat chicken pieces dry. Heat oil in a heavy pot or cast iron skillet until heated to 350°F (175°C). In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, dried thyme and ½ teaspoon (0.5 mL) salt and pepper. In another bowl, add buttermilk.
- Dip chicken cubes in buttermilk then evenly coat in breadcrumb mixture. Knock off excess and set aside. Fry chicken in batches, 9-11 minutes until cooked through. Drain on paper towel and season with salt.
- While chicken is frying make dipping sauce. Combine sour cream, mustard, tarragon, Tabasco and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange chicken bites on a plate with a bowl of the dipping sauce.
For more delicious chicken recipes, visit bcchicken.ca or Chicken.ca