This wholesome bread is delicious served with soup for a quick lunch.
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) soft unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (325 mL) coarsely grated, BC Tree Fruits apples (about 2 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped, toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease a 9 x 5 inch (2 L) loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl cream together butter and sugar. Beat in honey and eggs. Pour over flour mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in grated apples, cheese and pecans.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes before turning out onto cake rack and cooling completely.
For more recipes, visit www.bctree.com